Monday, March 2

Welcome to 1919 Winnipeg General Strike: A Blog


This year is the 90th anniversary of the 1919 Winnipeg General Strike.

I want to take advantage of the increasing amount of on-line material available to ‘armchair historians’ and post 90 years to the day some of the letters, newspaper articles, photographs and other items relating to the strike. (If you have seen my other history blog This Was Winnipeg you will get an idea as to what I want to do).

I am not a scholar of business or labour so I will, for the most part, leave it to the articles to explain themselves. I will provide some context (especially in the beginning) and keep a links list of related sites, essays and modern-day strike events that will be taking place over the summer.

For links to numerous 1919 Strike resources.

UPDATE 2012: 
This blog has been dormant for a couple of years now and many links are broken and a lot of formatting issues have crept in. Beginning in April 2012 I am going to go through and fix up many of those problem and to help ensure I say on top of things I will be "live tweeting" the events. Please be patient as I sort it all out !
 
For web links to strike resources check this link !

7 comments:

  1. This is very interesting to me since John Queen was my mother's uncle. He emmigrated to Canada long before my mother was born and contact was lost with the family. It's nice to find information about him now on the internet. He was related to my grandfather's side of the family. Interestingly, Bernadette Devlin is related to my grandmother's side of the family. I'm guessing I come by my interest in social activism naturally.
    I look forward to reading more here as you build. Thank you.
    Suzanne Queen
    Charlottetown, PEI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a post about Mayor Queen from another blog:

    http://victoriapark1919.ca/wp/?page_id=87

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what you'll post for Mike Sokolowski who was murdered on Bloody Saturday http://www.ukrcdn.com/2009/08/11/winnipegs-strike-musical-remembers-murdered-ukrainian-on-bloody-saturday/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick question for you. I have been wondering if the famous street car tipping was done by the employees of the street car company. I have been looking for an answer to this question for a while and have not been able to dig anything up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a quick question for you. I have been wondering if the famous street car tipping was done by the employees of the street car company. I have been looking for an answer to this question for a while and have not been able to dig anything up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete